Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sunnyside Up Cafe

Sunnyside Up Cafe
2702 Lyndale Ave S

Sunday, October 14.

IMG_0307

This last Sunday, I finally got to try the Sunnyside Up Cafe in Uptown. I had heard good things about it and was excited to actually get a chance to go there (the last time we had tried, the line was way out the door and we didn't even bother, so headed down to the French Meadow instead).

We got there around 10:45 or so on a Sunday morning, and while there was a short line of people waiting to get in, it wasn't too terribly busy and we only waited about 10 minutes total. See, the cafe doesn't have a list or reservations: you get there, stand in line, and wait to be seated. It was a little bit confusing because people seemed to be entering from the back of the restaurant as well as lining up on Lyndale, and I was a little annoyed at some of the people who seemed to not want to follow the one simple rule of "stand in line", but, it all worked out and the staff seemed to keep everyone in order, even if the patrons were, at times, confused.

The menu is pretty simple. There are some standard options, specials posted on a marker board, and Mexican type breakfasts. As I have been obsessed with Huevos Rancheros, I went with those. Lars went for one of the specials - steak, eggs benedict and lots of vegetables. I cannot recall what it was actually called, but regardless of name, my description is essentially what it was.

IMG_0303

The interior, of which I have no photos, is much larger than it would appear from outside. It kind of looks like it would be a hole in the wall, but actually is kind of spacious once you get inside. Not gigantic, but spacious all the same.

Coffee? The coffee was very excellent and the staff probably came and refilled my mug at least five or six times! This was a big improvement from the previous breakfast at The Egg & I (whose huevos rancheros were superior, but whose coffee refills were not) a few weeks back, where we were sitting at a counter right in front of where the staff hung out in between waiting tables and right in front of the coffee pots AND I had a clear glass mug, yet got maybe one refill of coffee the entire time. I drink a lot of coffee and I drink it fast, so coffee refills are kind of important. Sunnyside did not disappoint there.

Where they did disappoint was in the food. Don't get me wrong, it was alright. Maybe it was the high expectations; maybe it was the fact that just a few weeks before I had amazing huevos; maybe it was just that my taste was off. Whatever it was, I thought that the breakfast was just okay. It looked amazing, there was a ton of food, and the cost of the meal was very reasonable. It just didn't quite deliver for me, though. My eggs were a teeny bit cold, there was way too much ranchero salsa on my plate, and, I don't know.... I can't put my finger on it, but I wasn't overly impressed. Lars seemed to like his alright, though did comment that the "steak was tough". So, there you go.

Huevos!
IMG_0306

Steak special thing!
IMG_0305

I would definitely go there again, though, for the atmosphere and to try something else. I have heard good things about the french toast there and I did like the hash brown portion of my meal. I don't give up on places quite that easily.

1 comment:

Derby Girl said...

This morning I had the day off from work, as it is President's Day. I decided to get up early and visit my favorite local breakfast spot, The Sunny Side Up Cafe. I have enjoyed this establishment for going on 6 years. I have always had great food there. The service has never been anything less than congenial and attentive to their customers needs, always...up until this morning.

This morning was different. This morning I sat down with my book. I ordered coffee and a sausage, mushroom, and green pepper omelet. Well, the coffee came, but when I asked for cream, I was informed that the truck hadn't shown up that morning to deliver the product. If there are some of you out there that know what its like to drink black coffee and hate it, then you know what I am talking about. Cream is ESSENTIAL. I politely requested that she take the coffee back, as I do not drink it without cream. This was fine. No harm done, life happens.

The 2nd thing, as I was hungrily awaiting my sausage, mushroom, and green pepper omelet, I noticed that the table with 6 patrons sitting across from me, had the same problem. They, as well, politely declined the coffee. I continued reading my book. When my omelet finally arrived, I was very excited and hungry to dive in. As I cut it open, I discovered it was a ham and cheese omelet. Nothing against ham, but it was not my omelet. This also meant that there was probably another disappointed patron cutting into my sausage, mushroom, and green pepper omelet.

I tried to grab the servers attention, however was unsuccessful as she bustled around the busy restaurant waiting on other customers.

I finally arose from my chair, walked up to her at the till, and quietly informed her of the mishap. She apologized for the mistake and promised me the correct omelet. As I returned to my seat, I noticed the table of 6 across from me, rising to their feet. I heard the waitress apologize for not having the right food they had ordered do to the same truck being late. She urged them to visit The Egg and I, which was just down Lyndale about 2 blocks. The 6 customers left unfed, after waiting for 20 minutes to find out there orders were not processed and that Sunnyside up was unable to accommodate them.

I finally got my omelet shortly after the group of 6 departed. The food was fabulous. Also in the meantime, the truck had arrived, and the coffee with cream was also fabulous, as the morning coffee is part of my morning wake up ritual.
As the bill arrived, I attempted to pay with a credit card. I was then informed that they only accept checks and cash. Well, I don't carry checks because 90% of businesses these days do not accept checks. As for cash, I had 4 dollars and an assortment of change in the bottom of my purse. The server said they had a cash machine, which would have charged me a $2 charge for extracting cash, however it was out of order. She then advised me to run across the street to Bob's Java Hut to take cash. Ah, but guess what, my cash card was at home.

I finally dug out just enough change to come up with $9.48. I had about enough change to leave her a $1.00 tip. I usually leave over 20% for good service. I had been a server for years and appreciate a good tip for good service.

I felt a little guilty leaving her a 10% tip, however, they had very limited service their ways of collecting fees for their service. I guess after the mishap with the omelet and the extra 10 minutes it took to receive the correct food, I didn't really feel that guilty.

As far as this blog is concerned, this restaurant is still one of my favorites. Had I been a first time patron I probably would not return. As for the group of 6 who left unsatisfied after their 20 minute wait for nothing, I would guess they will not be returning.

Moral of the story, when you are out of cream, make an executive decision to run to rainbow and grab a few cartons of cream to accommodate your loyal customers.

If there is no cream, politely inform your customer of its absence before the black cup arrives and disappointment sets in.

Also, as in the case of the 6 lost customers, inform then in the beginning of the absence of certain ingredients so they don't wait for 20 minutes and then find out you are unable to serve them. Guess what, you just wasted at least a 1/2 hour of their time and also probably annoyed them enough to lose 6 potential customers in the future. They will probably go and tell at least 10 people they each know, resulting in the potential loss of 60 customers you may have had in the future.

As for myself, I will probably attend again, as I have had wonderful service in the past, but if this happens again, I may be a customer no longer, as I have at least 5 other breakfast favorite spots within 8 blocks walking distance from my front door.

Word to the Sunnyside Up Cafe, next time, take the initiative, run to rainbow, this may be enough to keep your customers happy as people rely on their morning coffee and friendly service from their favorite local breakfast spot.